I’m fascinated by how in second grade literacy challenges, parents and teachers and other educators might build a program from free online resources for 2nd grade.
To first get started, go construct some word lists o 2nd grade spelling and vocabulary words lists on VocabularySpellingCity (VSC). VSC is a game-based learning approach to using word lists to address all sorts of conceptual questions:
- 2nd grade math vocabulary
- 2nd grade science vocabulary such as matter, motion, and scientific inquiry
- 2nd grade social studies vocabulary
- Second Grade Reading Program
- Second Grade Math Standards & Curriculum
- Homeschooling a Second Grade Student
- Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum
In second grade, students write on a daily basis with the goal of becoming independent writers. As specified in second grade writing standards, students begin by learning how to write a paragraph with a topic sentence and supporting details. Second-graders gain awareness of the audience they are writing for and write for different purposes. In reports and stories, second grade students learn how to provide descriptive detail about characters and setting. They also organize their work using a beginning, middle, and ending. Second graders will focus on using sequence of events and writing from different viewpoints, i.e., first person (‘I’) and third person (he, she, it, they).